Sunday, March 25, 2018

My Week, in Books: Barnes and Noble Night, TLA, and an Upcoming Writing Class




Crazy, book-ish decisions I made last week....

I was beat, but I went to our school’s Barnes and Noble night. I came home with three book club books, three books about Italy, the 1001 Photographs book, and a book of mindful poetry. And helped our school raise a little money.

I talked to our librarian supervisor and I’m going to the Texas Library Association Conference in early April. Yes, it’s last minute, but I can’t wait to visit the queen of all library conferences one more time. I may bring home enough review books to last me through my entire retirement.


Easter-ish books have arrived....



Everybunny Count by Ellie Sandall
Here Comes the Easter Beagle by Charles M. Schulz
Let’s Hatch Chicks: Explore the Wonderful World of Chickens and Eggs by Lisa Steele and illustrated by Perry Taylor

I'll be reading and reviewing these this week.


Inprint Teachers-as-Writers....




I spent all day writing yesterday, and it was delightful. Inprint Houston features lots of wonderful writing workshops in Houston each year, and I was privileged to get to experience an intensive, one-day personal essay writing session. One of the things I want to do before the end of the year is to publish a few books written by students at our school, and next week I’ll share some editing tips with my classes.


The Readathon is coming....




Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon is coming for the gazillionth time on Saturday, April 28, 2018. The last readathon marked the tenth year of readathons, started by our amazing online friend, Dewey, who sadly passed away a year after starting the 'thon. Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon can always use prizes (Any authors out there? Publishers?) and hosts (It’s fun...I’ve hosted many times) and, of course, readers. I’ve already received messages from the Goodreads group about some practice pre-readathons and a scavenger hunt, so I hope you will join in, too.



What are you reading today? 


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

30 comments:

  1. So glad you are getting to go to TLA one more time! Have fun and I know you'll cart home a bunch of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you get to go to the TLA conference, that should be lots of fun and enough books to last a long time. But, that never seems to stop me from getting just a few more. =) Have a great week!

    Mary my #SundayRoundup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I actually didn't know it's Dewey's! I knew it's twice a year, I'm so glad I dropped to your blog. Now I know and have booked the date! So exciiiiteeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewey’s Readathon is one of my favorite events of the year.

      Delete
  4. Oooh. I forgot about the readathon. Thanks for the reminder, and it happens to fall on a Saturday when I'm not working at the library. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The library conference sounds like an awesome way to launch your retirement. Enjoy!

    I really need to participate in the Dewey's Readathon. I have tried a couple of times, but didn't stay the course very long.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should give it a try. I rarely complete it, but it's fun to try.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE that image for the read-a-thon and am so excited to participate. I have really lagged when it comes to the read-a-thon in the past couple of years so am pumped to do it right this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, it sounds like you've been/are doing so many exciting things! That's cool that the school has a B&N night. And the library conference sounds exciting! Have fun! The writing workshops sound great too :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like you have some fun coming your way. I hope you enjoy the conference. I need to go to one big conference at some point in time. I have never participated in a readathon but it sounds fun! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh... the Inprint writing workshops sound fabulous!
    I completely forgot about the Read-athon - thank you for the reminder. I think I'm free that weekend so I hope to participate for at least a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. It was the first event I ever participated in. I loved it. I still do.

      Delete
  11. I hope you have fun at the conference. I’m so excited for Dewey’s! I think this will be my 3rd or 4th time participating. Have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for the library conference! Sounds great... and the books about Italy sound great too. I love reading about that country.

    I love Easter and PEanuts books too, so that's a combination I can get behind. :)

    Good luck with the 24 hour readathon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gathering too many interesting books is one of the worst things about attending conferences. I think I still have a few on my shelves from ALA 2013. I've never done a formal readathon. I keep forgetting to start when the readathon does. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for library conferences and new books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All these years of blogging and I've still never officially participated in a readathon. Maybe this time it'll work with my schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Buying books for the very best reasons. Enjoy that conference. Sounds like it will be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can hardly wait for Dewey's!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.