Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Books I Just Might Read This Fall (if I Ever Finish Reading the Books I Planned to Read This Summer)

Here are nine books I just might read this fall...if I ever finish reading the books I planned to read last summer....





Autumn by Karl Ove Knausgaard
"This beautifully illustrated book is a personal encyclopaedia on everything from chewing gum to the stars. Through close observation of the objects and phenomena around him, Knausgaard shows us how vast, unknowable and wondrous the world is." (Aug. 22)

Dinner at the Center of the Earth by Nathan Englander
Dinner at the Center of the Earth is "...a political thriller that unfolds in the highly charged territory of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and pivots on the complex relationship between a secret prisoner and his guard." (Sept. 5)

George & Lizzie by Nancy Pearl
"George and Lizzie is an intimate story of new and past loves, the scars of childhood, and an imperfect marriage at its defining moments." (Sept. 5)

The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander Smith McCall
"Precious Ramotswe learns valuable lessons about first impressions and forgiveness in this latest installment of the beloved and best-selling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series." (Nov. 7)

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
"Manhattan Beach is a deft, dazzling, propulsive exploration of a transformative moment in the lives and identities of women and men, of America and the world." (Oct. 3)

Radical Happiness: Moments of Collective Joy by Lynne Segal
In an age of increasing individualism, we have never been more alone and miserable. But what if the true nature of happiness can only be found in others? (Nov. 7)

Coming to My Senses: The Making of a Counterculture Cook by Alice Waters
"The long-awaited memoir from cultural icon and culinary standard bearer Alice Waters recalls the circuitous road and tumultuous times leading to the opening of what is arguably America's most influential restaurant." (Sept. 5)

Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-first Century by Jessica Bruder
"Bruder tells a compelling, eye-opening tale of the dark underbelly of the American economy―one that foreshadows the precarious future that may await many more of us." (Sept. 19)

Sisters by Lily Tuck
"In her singular new novel Sisters, Tuck gives a very different portrait of marital life, exposing the intricacies and scandals of a new marriage sprung from betrayal." (Sept. 5)





What do you hope to read this fall...if, of course, you ever finish reading the books you planned to read this summer?






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists

18 comments:

  1. I just read as the books come in. I dont get much in the way to choose, so when I do get a book I like, I just read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting picks here. I must get back to literary fiction now my blog is established. I'm so behind, but I'm looking forward to The Power, and catching up on The Essex Serpent.

    Got a huge TBR this autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a huge TBR this autumn. I always have a huge TBR.

      Delete
  3. So true, books that I'm hoping to read sounds more accurate. I'm slowly making my way through the summer one's too, but there are so many Fall books that I want to read so I keep sliding one into the mix. Link to my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good list. I just want to get myself reading again! I think the first step is to stop watching so many episodes of Criminal Minds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must get to reading again. Even if you have to visit the doctor.

      Delete
  5. I think I'm still working on last fall's books. :-) It is fun coming up with the lists though. You've reminded me how behind I am in the McCall series. Dinner At the Center of the Earth sounds good. All of them do, in fact. I hope you are able to get to some of these, if not all before the year is out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how varied this list is! I'd be particularly interested to see what you think of Manhattan Beach. I read A Visit From the Goon Squad, which I know is generally raved about, but I didn't really love it. I mean, I could see why people liked it, and there were parts of it that worked for me, but as a whole it's not one that has particularly stuck with me or that I'd go out of my way to recommend. I have one other book by her on my shelf but never feel compelled to pick it up, so I'd love to see what you think of her new one to decide if I should give her another try! I hope you manage to finish up your summer TBR and get to at least a few of these before the end of the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel that way about literary fiction. I see the beautiful writing. I see the interesting characters. I see the intriguing plot. But it feels convoluted.

      Delete
  7. Naturally it's spring for us, so I shared my springreadingstack on twitter in the past week or so. Despite it being spring here I'm very keen to read Autumn. I fondled the book in Melbourne recently, and it's a particularly lovely hardback edition, but didn't buy it (see restraint in action! it wasn't just open slather) but have ordered from my bookshop on returning home. I don't think I've heard of any of the rest of your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i almost bought Autumn yesterday. And today. So hard to resist.

      Delete
  8. The Alice Waters memoir intrigues me. I don't always agree with all of her methods but she's so sincere that I'd love to read this. I've been aware of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency since the first one came out but for some reason I've never read any of them. Lately I've been hearing all kinds of good things so I'm thinking I need to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. George and Lizzie was on my radar. I love stories where the characters have a long history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by Jennifer Egan but the premise for her latest novel sounds interesting. Happy reading! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dinner at the Center of the Earth looks intriguing! I think Nathan Englander is coming to an indie bookstore near me, so perhaps I will atten this book signing.

    Here's a link to my TTT post: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/09/top-ten-tuesday-top-fifteen-books-on-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the marathon is going to help!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.