Sunday, September 11, 2016

Need a Powerful Panacea, Cure-All, Elixir, Wonder Drug? How About...Reading a Book?

I love to read. Reading is a wonderfully fun thing to do.

But reading is more than than fun. It's important, folks: Reading changes us. Dramatically. For the better.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I've recently done a little research and here's a list of all the fabulous, somewhat arcane benefits of reading....


People who read live longer.

People who read have a slower rate of cognitive decline.

People who read lower their levels of stress.

People who read boost their vocabulary.

People who read have more empathy for others.

People who read sleep better.

People who read have higher self esteem.

People who read have better relationships.

People who read are happier.

People who read work to improve the world.

People who read are smarter.

People who read focus better.

People who read are more creative.

People who read have better communication skills.

People who read make better decisions.


What else is going to give you this list of amazing benefits?



What I Finished This Week


Darby comes to New York City's Barbizon Hotel for Women to stay while she attends classes to become a secretary. It's 1952 and Darby doesn't have much...more


Twelve-year-old Florian has moved again and, to cope, puts into play the technique he calls TOAST, Theory Of All Small Things, looking closely at all...more



Good grief, it's about time I read this book. The author has since written ten more in this series, and has started a new (oh-so-similar) series with...more


So I just finally got around to reading Dork Diaries, and then I move on to this new series, Max Crumbly. It's by the same author as Dork Diaries, and...more


A group of Parisian women got together to write this book, a collection of essays and photo essays and stories and quotes, all aimed at getting to wha...more


Great quotes. Clever illustrations.
A haiku here seems appropriate.
Completely worth your time.



What I'm Reading Now

Honestly, I don't know.
I went crazy over Labor Day and requested right and left from my library.
Here's what came in for me. 
What should I read first?

  









What are you reading today? Have you read any of these? Any recommendations?





What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.


17 comments:

  1. Great list! I'm convinced that reading is the best thing ever.

    Great looking books...I'm curious about The Dollhouse. Enjoy, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list! I hope the cognitive decline part is right! :)

    I vote for Chicago or Joy On Demand, even though I know nothing about either of them. But they both LOOK nice! Have a super week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Heart and Other Black Holes seems intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make a poster of your findings!

    Hank's a good one for unreliable narrator, if I recall. My Heart & Other Black Holes does look interesting, as does Chicago (knowing nothing about the latter).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read a Dork Diaries book. I did get a copy of Max Crumbly and heard the author speak so I did read that one. I think there is lots of kid appeal although I really wanted there to be a resolution at the end. I read Homegoing this summer and just loved it, but it is a little different since every chapter, although tied to the previous one, is almost a short story in itself. The history part of it was interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall be pointing out your list of the benefits of reading to anyone who asks me "what good is reading?". Thanks for posting, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many reasons to keep reading - love your list! The library holds all look good, too. I borrowed Homegoing and only got to read the first chapter/story before the ebook disappeared from my kindle. It was excellent, and I'm already back on the hold list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great list! I loved reading through it.

    The Dollhouse looks really good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My middle school kids really like the Dork Diaries books. I'll have to get started on the new series too. Here is what my week was like. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Dork Diaries books are still super popular! A lot of kids really like the manga-style illustrations. They'll be excited to try out the new series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Coincidence of Coconut Cake was delightful. Yes, reading cures many things! Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zen Pencils sounds like a lot of fun. And yes to all you said about reading! It is a link to my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some great books here. The Dollhouse caught my eye first. I love books set in the 1950's era around women's experiences. I would be interested in your thoughts.
    Have a great reading week!
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Homegoing and The Coincidence of Coconut Cake. I hope you get to them and love them. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've certainly got a lot of new arrivals Deb - so many many choices!

    I love the benefits of reading list. I saw something on Facebook during the week that included a couple and thought it was most apt for we readers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful post Debs! I am definitely saving it! I've got one more for you: People who read form a community and that way will take over the world. And the magic words to join our party it: I love to read.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.