Sunday, July 17, 2016

Children's Books Set in Paris: A Definitive List

I'm heading off to a writing class way out in west Texas. While I'm traveling today, I thought I'd leave this little Paris in July post....


I pride myself on trying to read every children's book ever written that takes place in Paris. 

Here is the definitive list:



No Dogs Allowed. 


This is Paris. 




Everybody Bonjours. 




Adèle & Simon. 




A Lion in Paris.




Oops by Fromental




The Inside-Outside Book of Paris. 




Paris in the Spring with Picasso. 



Not for Parents Paris: Everything You Wanted to Know




Mirette on the High Wire


Madame Martine




Ooh-la-la: Max in Love




An Armadillo in Paris




Secret Letters 0 to 10




The Incredible Painting of Felix Clousseau




A Spree in Paree




Rooftoppers 




The Cat Who Walked Across France




Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin! 




Crictor 




Chasing Degas




Belinda in Paris




A Walk in Paris. 




Crepes by Suzette




Kiki and Coco in Paris




Henri's Walk to Paris




Charlotte in Paris




Come With Me to Paris




Anatole




Paris-Chien




A Giraffe Goes to Paris




The Family Under the Bridge




The Invention of Hugo Cabret




My Secret Guide to Paris




The Cows Are Going to Paris




Come Fly with Me by Ichikawa




Different Like Coco




Sandy's Circus: A Story About Alexander Calder




Lily B. on the Brink of Paris




Mira's Diary: Lost in Paris




Minette’s Feast. 





Bon Appétit! The Delicious Life of Julia Child




Lots of books where famous characters go to Paris. 
Eloise in Paris. Minnie and Moo Go to Paris. Flat Stanley in Paris.



And a wonderful early chapter book, Dodsworth in Paris.




Good grief...can't forget Madeleine!






August 2016 Update:  The magnificent Louise of A Strong Belief in Wicker loves lists. She took my list and added some titles of her own which makes my definitive list perhaps not quite so definitive. Here are my list and Louise's list (my list in the first column and Louise's list in the second) alphabetized in a lovely Google doc, with titles I missed (good grief, I forgot The Three Musketeers!) in yellow. Here's Louise's list in full, with lots of links to her delightful reviews. You can vote for or add to books on this list on Goodreads.



What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.


The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

11 comments:

  1. SO many great books I must read!! Thank you for helping me pass the time while healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! I've actually read several of these...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at your writing workshop. I have read a few of the older ones of these. Come see my reading week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirette on the High Wire was one of my childhood favorites. I got it at the book fair as a little girl and I love that I can read it with my kids now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few more -- unless you don't count the Louvre as part of Paris. Examples:
    --Katie and the Mona Lisa by James Mayhew
    --Molly Meets Mona and Friends: A Magical Day in the Museum by Gladys Walker and Denise Bennett Minnerly

    Making a list like this is a good idea!

    bet... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of children's books set in Paris. My great-niece hates France and says it's boring, because she's upset that we plan to move there, so I'll have to see if I can tempt her with any of these books. I've already given her the complete Madeleine set. She's 6.
    Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I need to check out these children's books! Here’s my Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! As I scrolled through the list I thought, "what about Madeleine?" Whew. Good catch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome collection. Im pleased to say I've read some of these but theres many here i still must find. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember sitting on the floor in the University bookshop whilst my parents were looking for, I dare say, a book, and feeling the pressure to read as many books from the children's section as I possibly could in the impossibly short time that I would have. That was a long time ago, but your list, and the beautiful book covers, bring back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely sensational list. So many that I haven't heard of before! Quite a few that I've read though too. Just looking at this list is making my online shopping fingers itch... Paris-Chien and Secret Letters particularly.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.