Saturday, October 17, 2015

My 16th Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon!



Hour 24

Finished All the Bright Places.


Which hour was most daunting for you? 
Hour two. I had to leave and help my family do several tasks. I really wanted to keep reading.

Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Graphic novels. Children's books. YA. Short stories.

Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
It is perfect as it is.

What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
The cheerleaders were so supportive.

How many books did you read?
3.

What were the names of the books you read?
The Death of the Hat.
Hairs/Pelitos by Sandra Cisneros
All the Bright Places.

Which book did you enjoy most?
All the Bright Places.

How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
100%. Any role that needs to be filled.




Hour 23

Awake. 
Back to All the Bright Places.




Hours 16-22

I slept.




Hours 14-15

I read two small books:
The Death of the Hat (poetry)
Hairs/Pelitos by Sandra Cisneros


I got 100 pages into All the Bright Places 
and fell asleep.



Hours 2-14

I spent the last thirteen hours:
(1) working at the farmer's market
(2) unloading furniture at my son & daughter-in-law's new house
(3) wishing I was reading

Okay. Done with all that. 
Now, let's bring on the good stuff.
Reading, here I come.




Hour 1 - Survey Time

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Alvin, Texas.
Just south of Houston in the USA.
Or, as we say, "Just south of high pressure."

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I'm hoping to reread all the books I nominated for Cybils.
The graphic novel of Macbeth especially.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Coffee. 
I must do a snack run later in the day.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
Primary school librarian.
Book blogger for seven years.
Puppeteer. Artist. Writer. Guitar player.
Happy person.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? 
This is my 16th readathon.
I've only read for all 24 hours one time,
and I know it won't happen today.
My plan today is to read a little and visit a little,

read a little and visit a little, and so on...all day.



Pre-Hour 1

Ah, my book-ish friends, once again it's that time that we love...it's time for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon! It happens but twice a year and oh-how-eagerly we await it. 

I'd planned to co-host but instead I'll be spending most of the daylight hours selling things for my very-pregnant daughter-in-law at a local farmer's market. 

It's all good.

I decided to spend the time I have just reading and cheering others on. It's what I love best about the read-a-thon, anyway: wonderful reading time and wonderful time meeting other bloggers.

I'll be cheering on the Sycamore team. Hope to visit all of the bloggers on my list at least once during the 'Thon.

Here are the books I have at the ready: two Sandra Cisneros books, a graphic novel of Macbeth, Did You Ever Have a Family, Crossover, The Death of the Hat, and All the Bright Places. (A little bit of everything...poetry...picture books...YA...children's book...and fiction).




14 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm so jealous. I'd love to do one of these one time- the time difference is tricky. You have a great stack of books. I ordered The Crossover when it won which prize it won (I forget now) but it wasn't avaialble and they cancelled my order. I've noted the buzz about All The Bright Things without really knowing what it's about. Good luck, I'll be keen to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 16th readathon is awesome! Your stack of books sounds great, all the best reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 16th readathon I hope to be as committed as you. This is my 6th readathon. I always set my day aside for reading when it comes to Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. I'm cheering on team dogwood and I'm hoping to get around to everybody also. Happy readathon day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've only been a book blogger for five years?! It seems like it's been much longer than that. I have no idea how many read-a-thons I've done, though I've missed about three. I have Cisneros's latest book in my stack for today. Happy reading, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again from your cheering team! I hope you are enjoying the readathon and your reading choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to grab some Ciscneros from the shelf for today--I've been wanting to read Woman Hollering Creek for a while now. Hope you have a great event--and maybe utilize audiobooks when helping your daughter-in-law? LOL! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish. I'm just now back...eleven hours later...but, oh well, it's all good.

      Delete
  7. Holy cow! Your 16th Readathon?! Way to go, you! It doesn't matter that you've had other things to do. The point is you're here when you can be and are part of the community. Thanks for the cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great achievement to be able to write Happy Person. I'm exhausted just thinking about your day already. Looking forward to hearing about your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you've had a very productive, if not so book filled, start to the readathon! I hope that you get some reading time in now, and that you enjoy the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the lack of updates means lots of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Optimistic you! No, I read for two hours and then crashed and burned.

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.