Sunday, July 26, 2015

Off to Yellowstone!

I'm headed to Yellowstone Park on Tuesday. I worked in the park forty years ago, so this is a highly anticipated return visit. I'll be gone for most of the next two weeks, but I hope to blog a bit while I'm off in the wilds of Wyoming. For now, I've reviewed everything I've read recently.


What I Finished Recently






covertitleauthorreview
New Slow City: Living Simply in the World's Fastest City
In New Slow City, William Powers, after living happily and simply in a twelve-by-twelve cabin (a story recounted in the appropriately named Twelve-by-...more 

Troy
I started out a little hesitant about this story. I wasn't sure what I thought about the oh-so-human gods popping into the story, but it gradually wor...more 

Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education
Ken Robinson is determined to help education, and I think Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education is his best effort...more 

O's Little Book of Happiness
O's Little Book of Happiness is exactly what the title states: little stories about everyday happinesses. I swear that I could physically feel little ...more 

Eight Hundred Grapes
Eight hundred grapes. That’s how many grapes it takes to make a bottle of wine. Georgia Ford should know this; she grew up in her family’s vineyard. A...more 

Lists of Note
It doesn’t get better than this: a collection of memorable and not-so-memorable lists, clever and pedestrian lists, surprising and poignant lists from ...more 

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette
Is In the Kingdom of Ice the best nonfiction I’ve read this year? you ask.

It just might be.

But how can that be? you continue. Didn’t you also read t
 ...more 


Crêpes by Suzette‎
It was the Paris setting that persuaded me to review my first-ever book app.

Crêpes by Suzette is a book app that was developed from
the children's pic
 ...more 


Go Set a Watchman
I’ll go ahead and say it: I like it. Of course I am disappointed in Atticus; on the other hand, he is a bit more human. Of course I see that the writi ...more 

Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
If you have never had the experience of reading the prose of one of those old, amazing newspapermen, Liebling is your fellow. And where does he take y...more 
Paris by Pastry: Stalking the Sweet Life on the Streets of Paris
Do you need a guide to the best pastries of Paris? There can be no guide more complete than this one. Mind the copyright date, of course, but give thi...more 

The Little Paris Bookshop
Sometimes books are begun with a fabulous idea. That, I think, is the way this one began. Here’s the idea: A man sells therapeutic books from his boat...more 

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
Whew. Wolves attacking railway cars. Wolves attacking people. Wolves everywhere.

But that’s just one plot point and it’s not the main one. The main sto
 ...more


Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)
Harriet loves to write down everything in her notebook. Some of it is nice. Some of it is not-so-nice.

And then Harriet loses her notebook.

And then Ha
 ...more 


Find the Good: Unexpected Life Lessons from a Small-Town Obituary Writer
Heather Lende writes obituaries in her little town in Alaska. Through interviewing the deceased’s survivors, Lende has learned all the important thing ...more 

Rising Strong
Brene Brown has stoked up the conversation about the power of vulnerability. In Rising Strong, Brown reminds us of the downside of vulnerability: when...more 

Anna, Banana, and the Monkey in the Middle (Anna, Banana book 2)
Oh my. Here we go...imagine this: a children’s story in which the main characters have a conflict and they (are you ready?) work. it. out. themselves....more 

The Summer of Good Intentions
I can’t remember when I have ever read a book in which the characters all work out their difficulties by talking about their problems together and try...more 

What are you reading today?!



What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.


15 comments:

  1. Enjoy your vacation...

    ...and I look forward to checking out some of your reviews in the meantime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY ... I will savor reading these reviews over the entire week.

    The vacation sounds ideal! I've never visited Yellowstone, but it is most definitely on the bucket list.

    I know you will have a glorious time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be going (back) to Yellowstone- somewhere I'd love to visit. Enjoy the break, I'm sure you'll see some breath taking sights, and read some great books on the way. Are you driving or flying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both. We are flying to Utah and then driving around Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Then back to Utah and flying home.

      Delete
  4. How fun to go to Yellowstone! My husband and I are planning a massive road trip when we have a few less kids in college and Yellowstone is high on our To Visit list! Have a great time! I'm looking forward to reading over these reviews. I see several books I've been wanting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me. And I think I read a lot. I don't touch you. Have a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I do read fast. Wish I wrote better reviews.

      Delete
  6. Have a good time, Deb! Two weeks in Wyoming after our heat here sounds like a good plan. I'm assuming that school will be gearing up soon after. Or so my relatives who are teachers tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear you liked Harper Lee's novel "Watchman." I plan to get to it. Have a great trip in Yellowstone. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a great time at Yellowstone!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.