Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Weekend Cooking: The Homesick Texan Family Table Cookbook



Is there anything more wonderful than receiving a cookbook in the mail? That's what happened to me this week. I received a beautiful copy of The Homesick Texan Family Table.  Everything in the cookbook has a decidedly  Texas slant. A little bit of cayenne. A smidgeon of jalapeño. A dash of chipotle. Fabulous. 

Here's the quote I loved from the book:
"It's been said that if you ask a Texan about their most memorable meal, they won't tell you about a coveted reservation at a five-star temple of dining, or an exotic feast served after an airplane flight half way across the world. Nope, most Texans will say that their most memorable meal was home-cooked, shared at the family table. At least it's that way for me."

Amen, sister.

Well, I had to try out one of the recipes. I chose Tortilla Crusted Tilapia. The recipe includes a side recipe for Jalapeño Tartar Sauce.  

It is really an easy recipe. I simply took some tilapia and added some lime juice and cayenne pepper. Then I dipped each piece in egg and set each in a bowl with crumbled tortilla chips. The fish baked like that for about twenty minutes.

While the fish baked, I made the jalapeño tartar sauce. 

This makes the fish, I think.
The tartar sauce is easy, too, and 
it was especially good with cilantro and a jalapeño from my garden.

Tortilla-Crusted Tilapia recipe
And here's the final result! ¡Excelente!




Here's the recipe:

Fish:


  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 4 6-ounce tilapia fillets
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 egg
Jalapeño tartar sauce:

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Sprinkle lime juice on both sides of fish, then season both sides with salt and pepper. Stir together tortilla chips and cayenne on a plate. Beat egg in a bowl. Dip each fillet in egg, then roll in chips. Place each coated fillet on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until fish flakes. While fish is baking, make tartar sauce: Mix together mayonnaise, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Serve with cooked fish.





For more great recipes, check out the 

Homesick Texan Website


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

Saturday Snapshot is now hosted by West Metro Mommy ReadsTo participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky below. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.

13 comments:

  1. Mmm, looks absolutely yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very delicious. I'd never thought of using tortilla crumbs like that. I love cilantro (although we call it coriander), but am not such a fan of jalapeño.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So easy! And it looks really good. Home-cooked meals with friends and family *are* the most memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a simple recipe. I bet the fish is very crunchy. I'm sure the jalapeno tartar sauce would be a hit with my spice-loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fish dish. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting cookbooks in the mail too! The end result of this dish looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my sons would love the jalapeno sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I forgot to share this, but I used tortilla chips with a hint of lime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quote. This dish looks utterly delicious. I love to make a homemade fish dish on a Friday night, and I'm always looking for new inspiration. We don't get tilapia here in New Zealand, but I'm sure I can find a good substitute to give this a try tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. for such a simple recipe, it certainly looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am gluten free so crushed tortilla chips... what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.