Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: The Pocket Therapist


Here's a new idea:  Let's choose someone to write a self-help book who knows what she is talking about. Someone who is not a researcher. Someone who is not a psychiatrist. Someone who is not even a therapist.

How about picking someone who is crazy?!

Yes, the author of The Pocket Therapist, Therese J. Borchard, claims she wrote this book by drawing on notes she took from "more than twelve years (i.e., six hundred hours) of therapy" as well as "get-ahold-of-yourself tips...learned in the psych ward."

There you go.

What kind of ideas does this book offer? Borchard provides 144 ideas for sanity, most as simple as breathing. In fact, the very first idea is breathing.

I liked this book, but, to really assess its efficacy, perhaps we need a crazy reader as well. Any takers?

Full disclosure:  I obtained this book from an online trade.

4 comments:

  1. I hope I don't classify as a crazy reader, although I am crazy about books, but I will say that this books sounds intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book, TheBookGirl, and I don't think I'm crazy. Well, not that crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm not sure how exactly I stumbled across your blog, but I thought I'd let you know I enjoy it and am following now. :)

    If you're interested, I keep a book blog here: http://pygmiesandpb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. Since I've been told I was nuts on more than one occassion, I'll be your test subject. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.