Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advent Tour Stop---Children's Christmas Picture Books




Am I a multitasker or what?!

I joined in with the Readathon...read lots and lots of children's Christmas picture books for school...was a stop of the Advent Tour...and now I'm combining all of this for my Sunday Salon post!

I was ready to go yesterday morning with Christmas music, candles, and heaps of Christmas books. Then I discovered a winter storm had knocked our Internet connection out! So I had to run up to Starbucks to post.

The Internet was finally restored yesterday afternoon. I had several other distractions, but I still managed to read 64 Christmas books and visit a lot of blogs and host a small Readathon contest.

BTW, I asked, in my contest, for readers to name five of their favorite Christmas children's stories. I will keep this open all day today if anyone else would like to join in. The winner will receive a $10 Amazon gift certificate. I will announce the winner tomorrow.

So, out of all those books, what do I recommend?

Funny:
Mrs. Claus Takes a Vacation
A New, Improved Santa
Pooch on the Loose
Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
Pirate's Night Before Christmas
Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve
Mr. Putter and Tabby Bake the Cake
Santa Claus, the World's Number One Toy Expert
Wombat Divine
I See Santa Everywhere
Mooseltoe

Heartwarming:
The Gift of the Christmas Cookie
An Orange for Frankie
Great Joy
Too Many Tamales
Santa's Book of Names
Santa Calls
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy

Beautiful Illustrations:
What Dogs Want for Christmas
Waiting for Christmas
Bear Stays Up for Christmas
Drummer Boy

Surprising:
Snowmen at Christmas
How Santa Really Works
Uncles and Antlers
The Peterkins' Christmas
Merry Christmas, Merry Crow
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
Merry Un-Christmas

Learning Something Important:
The Wild Christmas Reindeer
Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear
All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll
Christmas Trolls
The Longest Christmas List Ever
Yoon and the Christmas Mitten

Different Ways to Celebrate Christmas:
Tree of Cranes
Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree
Night Tree
The Soldier's Night Before Christmas
Twelve Days of Christmas Dogs
Texas Night Before Christmas

Classic:
Amahl and the Night Visitors
A Christmas Memory
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
A Christmas Carol
The Night Before Christmas
The Littlest Angel

A big thank you to my wonderful public library, the Brazoria County Library System, which let me go over my checkout limit for this readathon.

And because I am so full of Christmas cheer and because I might forget later:
MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

7 comments:

  1. I was just thinking this morning that I haven't bought a Christmas picture book yet this year. Thanks for the list; I'll have to check some of those out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've read a ton of Christmas stories!

    My favorite Christmas story isn't a book. It's a Muppets special from the '80s (we taped it off the TV and there are actual '80s commercials on the tape) that also featured Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock. We also have a Sesame Street Christmas book that I still love to this day but the name escapes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Great Joy, but I love Tree of Cranes! That book inspired me to make my own tree of origami cranes. I made many, many white ones which over time have discolored into ivory, and so now I have a batch of multi-colored cranes. They are so very beautiful to look at, and I appreciate their unique quality.

    Another book I like very much that I didn't see on your list was The Jolly Christmas Postman. I just pulled that out of my stack and read it last night waiting for my son to get home. Around midnight. ;)

    I also love reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever to my class every year although of course that's not a picture book. It still makes me laugh, and has the Christmas message, which are two critical points for me.

    It was great fun looking over your list, and I can see quite a few I need to check out. Literally. Thanks for this wonderful post, and good job multi-tasking, especially with a computer on the fitz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a very busy day. I love the book recommendations. We are always on the lookout for new books to get the grandkids for Christmas. (It's our duty to turn them into little book nuts, right?) Thanks for sharing in the Advent Tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The list is crazy awesome! So many books. I honestly didn't even know there were that many. I will certainly be perusing this one not only for my children's benefit but my own as well since I only read A Christmas Carol from the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a GREAT list of books! I just love it! Reading holiday theme books is a wonderful tradition and I am amazed at all the books there are to chose from! Thanks also for categorizing the books by what we'll enjoy most from the story! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing list of books!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.