Saturday, November 7, 2009

Q is for Question by Tiffany Poirier


Q is for Question by Tiffany Poirier

The philosophy section of my primary school library is empty; I can see a real need for a book like this. The author uses the alphabet book format to talk briefly yet intriguingly about ideas that philosophers discuss. The text is a nice mix of thoughtful comments and clever questions. The illustrations give the book a homemade look, but it helps the approachability of the book. Philosophy can be a daunting subject, but this book is a great introduction to it for young students.

A bite:
“Free Will
Do you feel like
you’re pulled by strings?
Is a puppet master
in the wings?
Did destiny plan
your life for you?
Or can you choose
the things you do?”

Children’s comments:
I borrowed eight GT first graders to try out some of my most difficult books, including this one. One first grader summed up what the others said, “It’s an interesting book. I don’t really understand it all, but I like it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.