Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hour 17 and 18: Rereading and That Night

Link to mini-challenge: Join BookCrossing!



I almost never reread. I can only think of a few books I've reread. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is one.

I wish I reread more.

Two more reviews:

Amelia's Notebook by Marissa Moss. A little children's book, written in the form of a notebook. The notebook format is perfect for such a close look inside the life of a child.

That Night by Alice McDermott. A masterpiece. I wish I'd read this book this morning when I was still able to write coherently instead of midnight when I'm in the last seven hours of a twenty-four hour read-a-thon.

I loved the way the author switches from first person singular narrator to first person plural narrator in the story. I also loved the way the author provides little glimpses of the future for the characters who pop into the narrative. These give the story a big vision both broad and yet full of disappointment.

2 comments:

  1. I am having to put off writing reviews because I know they wouldn't make sense right about now. But we are in the final stretch. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very smart idea. I'm not sure whether my reviews are actually making any sense.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.