Saturday, October 21, 2017

Can You Read for 24 Hours? No? Neither Can I...



It's just not a readathon if conflicts don't arise.

This time it's the farmer's market and a barn party.

It's all good. I'll find a way to get in a bit of reading. Anyway.





Hour 1: Opening Meme

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? 
I'm here in Alvin, Texas, between Houston and Galveston.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? 
All my books about Italy.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? 
Coffee. And Hershey's Kisses.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! 
School librarian. Reader. Blogger. 
I love to read happiness books, travel stories, 
literary fiction and nonfiction, and children's books.

5) What’s one thing you’ll do different today?
Read. As much as I can.
And...we're...off!


Hours 2-8

Farmer's Market.

I did manage to get in the readathon challenge, a favorite read published from each year of the Readathon:

2007...Firegirl by Tony Abbott
2008...Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
2009...Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia by Teruyuki Komiya
2010...Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
2011...IQ84 by Haruki Murakami
2012...Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
2013...Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
2014...Letters of Note: An Eclectic Collection of Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience by Shaun Usher
2015...Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
2016...Ghost by Jason Reynolds
2017...The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


Hours 9-11


Started A Thousand Bells at Noon.


Hours 12-14 

Barn Party.


Hour 15-18

Finished Thousand Bells.

Started That Fine Italian Hand.

Hours 19-22

Slept.

Hours 23-24

Finished Fine Hand.

Closing Survey! 

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? I always fall asleep before midnight.
2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read! Two: A Thousand Bells at Noon and That Fine Italian Hand.
3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners? Picture books, graphic novels, audiobooks. All of these are great for times you feel you can't go on.
4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile? I loved the idea of the pre-readathon challenge. Even though I didn't get to any of it. A collaborative photo of readathoners reading might be fun. Could we involve the schools somehow? T-shirts for those who make the 24 hours? I miss visiting blogs but maybe I'm missing out on Twitter.
5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep? 100% likely. Yes, I'd like to help.


What did you think? Were you able to do Readathon this year? Have you participated in the past? Are you hoping to participate in the future?

15 comments:

  1. Good luck! We're packing up the trailer today for our trip to Bandon, so I don't have time this year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother just flew in from the UK with 2 of my nieces so no reading will get done this weekend. I have been in a real reading slump so was hoping the read-a-thon was next weekend so I'd be motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! This is the first time in a few years that I did not sign up. Not that I didn't want to, but I knew I wouldn't get much reading in. Maybe a few hours tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, this was my first Dewey's and I didn't have any problems with it! Would you imagine the timing? My Bf actually came back from a party that was on Friday and so he basically slept ALL DAY. I had absolutely no one to bother me for any reason during the entirety of Saturday :D
    I actually ran a timer for how many hours I read, and it was over 11h. So that's pretty good, at least I am happy with my result :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive day! I never manage to get in more than a few hours...but then I read again later. I spend most of my days reading anyway, so I don't see the point of the readathon...for me. LOL.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wait to do a readathon when there are no conflicts which of course means I've never done it. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and do what I can. I'm borrowing your strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it's not just me that has things come up. I did this for the first time but stopped earlier than planned to roast lamb and bake cake x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great that you had a great time during the readathon! I was only able to read one book for readathon, but I'm hoping to do better next time!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, great news. Glad tha 6ou enjoyed the readathon. I hope you enjoy your new books this week. Have a wonderful week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. I thought you were indeed a wonder woman and read all those books you mentioned in the many years of the readathon. I was jealously impressed but then read on and saw you didn't read them, you listed the,. Alas. I'm reading nonfiction for the Cybils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've participated in past readathons, but not this time. It's always a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find readathons put too much pressure on me. Most of my life is a readathon anyway. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never do readathons because weekends are family time. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read anything for two weeks as I was on holiday. Now to get back to it before I get into a slump.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to read a book for 24 hours... And drink coffee... And switch the phone off... Dreams, dreams...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.